Contractors and home rebuilding/renovating

hard hat pink – As I read through this posting on the information for residents of High River I notice a very important point (although all the information is very important) … “Note: It is also extremely important for residents to ensure the contractor working on your property is covered by Workers Compensation Board (WCB).

An easy way to protect yourself is by obtaining a Direct Employer Clearance Certificate (DECC). This self-service system allows you to electronically request and receive clearance certificates for your contractors and subcontractors to confirm they are already covered by WCB. DECCs are easy to obtain:
Workers Compensation Board Direct Employer Clearance Certificate
1-866-922-9221 toll free –  Information about hiring a contractor”

What does this mean to you If you hire a contractor to assist with rebuilding your home.  If the contractor or one of their employees are injured while working on your home and they do NOT have WCB coverage you may become liable for their injuries, expenses and rehabilitation. Please take the time to ensure your Contractor is covered!!!!


1 Response so far

  1. 1

    Betts Passmore said,

    Homeowners in High River beware, there will be a few contractors willing to help that may not be reputable. Rebuilding your home will be stressful and to reduce the chance of complications ensure you check out your contractor. Ask for and check references, ensure they have WCB coverage and as much as possible check up on their work. A reputable contractor will not mind you checking up on them – if they are reputable they will have nothing to hide.

Comment RSS

Comments are closed.